Warning: include(include/common.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/circlecr/public_html/mexico.php on line 2

Warning: include(include/common.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/circlecr/public_html/mexico.php on line 2

Warning: include(): Failed opening 'include/common.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/circlecr/public_html/mexico.php on line 2

Warning: include(/mexico_top.html): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/circlecr/public_html/mexico.php on line 3

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/mexico_top.html' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/circlecr/public_html/mexico.php on line 3
Property in Mexico

Warning: include_once(mexico_browse.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/circlecr/public_html/mexico.php on line 31

Warning: include_once(): Failed opening 'mexico_browse.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/circlecr/public_html/mexico.php on line 31
    Buying Real Estate in Mexico
    All too often citizens of the United States, Canada and other countries assume that property purchases in Mexico are carried out automatically in a manner similar to their native countries. The first rule of any property purchase in Mexico is, always work with a Real Estate Brokerage firm. Purchasing property in Mexico is different than in other parts of the world and a professional Real Estate Agent is your safest way to success.

    We are here to protect your investment and ensure that you are satisfied with your transaction. Our evaluation of a potential property of interest will guide you to determine if that is the right investment for you. Your best interest is our primary concern.

    We take the time to show you how Mexico's real estate transactions function and how the supporting legal system has responded to the industry's needs. It is essential that you have an idea of how this system works and what to expect when considering an investment in Mexico. We are at your service at any time for consultation.

    Foreign Ownership of Property in Mexico
    The Mexican Constitution regulates the ownership of land and declares that ...within a zone of 100 kilometers from the border or 50 kilometers from the coast, a foreigner cannot acquire the direct ownership of the land. These areas are known as Restricted or Prohibited Zones. However, the latest Mexican Foreign Investment Law, which was ratified on December 28, 1993, allows a foreigner or foreign corporation to obtain the rights of ownership through a fiduciary trust known as Fidelicomiso, the equivalent of a US beneficiary trust.

    Alternatively the purchase of non-residential property can be achieved through a Mexican corporation which, under certain conditions, can be 100% foreign-owned. An agreement is signed that says the corporation is subject to Mexican law and the owners will not invoke the laws of their parent country. Also, the real estate must be registered with the Foreign Affairs Ministry and be used for non-residential activities. In other words under the above conditions foreigners can directly acquire properties for tourist, commercial and industrial use.

    Normally, there are three to four players involved in any real estate transaction in the restricted zone:
  • A real estate broker
  • The buyer's lawyer
  • A bank
  • A public notary

    All four are helpful in their respective areas in assisting with real estate transactions. Transactions outside of the restricted zone do not involve a bank since it is not necessary to establish a real estate trust in those areas. Otherwise the transactions are much the same.

    Because of the similarities of real estate transactions in general, it is easy to assume that the basic terms and principles which are familiar in the United States also hold true in Mexico. This assumption becomes easier to make when United States real estate terminology is adopted for transactions in Mexico. Much of the paperwork is similar, if not exactly the same, as that used in the US. Although, there are many aspects of Mexican real estate transactions that are identical to procedures carried out in the United States, there are many aspects that are completely different. As a rule, a foreigner should assume nothing.

    A Mexican attorney should be involved to draw up contracts and to review the conditions and terms of sale. Additionally, an attorney can do a title search and point out any problems or alternatives a buyer may have. Legally, only a licensed Mexican attorney should provide advice on the law. If an attorney is licensed in Mexico he should be able to produce a "cédula profesional." This document is a registered license to practice law in Mexico and includes a photo of the attorney and his signature. To be sure that an attorney is licensed in Mexico, a foreign buyer should ask to see the attorney's license, or have the attorney's license number included in a retainer agreement before employing any services.

    American attorneys are not licensed to practice law in Mexico and should not give advice on Mexican Law. I should clarify, here, that I am referring to individuals who are licensed to practice law in the United States, and not merely individuals who are citizens of that country. There are currently very few Americans who are licensed to practice law in Mexico. The fact that a person is licensed to practice law in the United States in no way allows him or her to practice law in Mexico: Mexican or United States law.

    When looking for an attorney it is important to remember that any Mexican attorney can normally handle a real estate transaction. The buyer is not limited to only the local attorneys where the property is located. All real estate transactions involving a trust are governed by federal law. This means that all such transactions are carried out the same way regardless if the property is in Cancun or Los Cabos.

    The law declares that the Mexican nation has original ownership to all land and water in Mexico, as well as minerals, salts, ore deposits, natural gas and oil; but that such ownership may be assigned to individuals.

    The Mexican Constitution prohibits direct ownership of real estate by foreigners in what has come to be known as the "restricted zone." The restricted zone encompasses all land located within 100 kilometers (about 62 miles) of any Mexican border, and within 50 kilometers (about 31 miles) of any Mexican coastline. However, in order to permit foreign investment in these areas, the Mexican government created the "fideicomiso," (FEE-DAY-E-CO-ME-SO) which is, roughly translated, a real estate trust. Essentially, this type of trust is similar to trusts set up in the United States, but a Mexican bank must be designated as the trustee and, as such, has title to the property and is the owner of record. The Mexican Government created the "fideicomiso" to reconcile the problems involved in developing the restricted zone and to attract foreign capital. This enabled foreigners, as beneficiaries of the trusts, to enjoy unrestricted use of land located in the restricted zone without violating the law.

    A "fideicomiso" is a trust agreement created for the benefit of a foreign buyer, executed between a Mexican bank and the seller of property in the restricted zone. Foreign buyers cannot own real estate in the restricted zone due to Constitutional restrictions. The bank acts on behalf of the foreign buyer, taking title to real property. The bank, as trustee, buys the property for the foreigner, then has a fiduciary obligation to follow instructions given by the foreigner who is the trust beneficiary. The trust beneficiary retains and enjoys all the rights of ownership while the bank holds title to the property. The foreigner is entitled to use, enjoy, and even sell the property that is held in trust at its market value to any eligible buyer.

    In order to allow foreigners to enter into the agreement contained in the Calvo Clause, Mexico requires all foreigners to apply for and obtain a permit from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs prior to contracting to acquire real estate in Mexico. This is currently done by the trustee/bank at the time a real estate trust is set-up.

    The bank, as trustee, must get a permit from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to establish a real estate trust and acquire rights on real property located within the restricted zone. The purpose of the trust is to allow the trust's beneficiary the use and exploitation of the property without constituting real property rights. The beneficiaries of the trust (fideicomisarios) may be:
  • Mexican corporations with foreign investment
  • Foreign individuals or legal entities
    The law defines "use" and "exploitation" as the right to use or possess the property, including its fruits, products, or any revenue that results from its operation and exploitation by third parties or from the bank/trustee.

    The law does not clarify how trust permits will be issued. Article 14 of the law states that the Ministry shall decide on issuing the permits "...considering the economic and social benefit, which the realization of such operations imply for the nation." The basic criteria used to determine such benefits are likely to change somewhat with the publication of the new foreign investment regulations. However, it is reasonable to anticipate that some of the unwritten rules used by the Mexican government in the area of real estate trusts will be included in the new foreign investment regulations. It is also possible that some of the confusing elements will be eliminated. It is important to understand the application of the current regulations, even if they are going to be replaced, as well as some of the unwritten policies the government has used in the past, to better understand what criteria will be used by the Ministry in the future.

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs must grant any petition for a trust permit that complies with the stipulated requirements within 5 working days following the date of its presentation to the Ministry's central office in Mexico City. It must be granted in 30 days if the application is submitted to one of the Ministry's state offices. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs must confirm the registration of any property acquired by foreign-owned Mexican corporations a maximum period of 15 days following the filing of the petition. In both cases, if the maximum period passes with no action by the Ministry, the trust permit or registration are considered authorized.

    There is a common misconception among foreigners investing in Mexico that once the trust expires, the beneficiary loses all rights and benefits of the sale of the property held in trust. This is not the case. On the contrary, the beneficiary has a contractual right under the trust agreement with the Mexican bank to all benefits that may result from the use or sale of that property, even though he does not hold title to the property. Under Mexican Law, the bank, as trustee, has a fiduciary obligation to respect the rights of the beneficiary.

    A real estate trust is not a lease. The beneficiary can instruct the bank to sell or lease the property at any time. The beneficiary can develop and use the property to his liking and benefit, within the provisions of the law. Generally, the law allows most activities engaged in by foreigners.
    [Top Of Page]

    Purchasing Procedures
    Legal Steps to Purchase Real Estate in Mexico:
    1. Offer and acceptance and/or promissory agreement
    In accordance with Mexican Law, a letter of intent fulfills the requirements for it to be considered to be a valid contract, with the condition that there has been mutual consent on the part of both the seller to transfer a specific property and the buyer to acquire it.

    2. Title Search and Conditions of the Property
    This will ensure that none of the information of the Public Registry of Property and Commerce regarding the property is overlooked.

    3. Requirements for closing and formal execution of a standard real estate Transaction in Mexico:
  • Certificate of No-Encumbrances: This certificate will enable the Notary to assess that the property does not have any lien or encumbrance, or any claim pending over it, and thus can be transferred with a clean title. It is obtained directly at the Offices of the Public Registry of Property and Commerce and basically it must contain at least the following information: I) the number of years of documented history made on the property; II) the surface area of the property in accordance with the records; III) the metes and bounds of the property; IV) the name of the owner; V)classification of the property (urban or rural); VI) a legal description of the property (such as if it is owned in a trust or by several owners); VII) the name and signature of the registar and VIII) the official seal of the Public Registry of Property and Commerce.
  • Certificate of No-Tax Liability: This certificate will enable the Notary Public to assess that the property tax has been paid prior to the transfer of the property.
  • Property Appraisal and Site Survey: In accordance with the Real Estate Law ("Ley de Catastro"), it is mandatory to carry out a site survey on the property and do an official appraisal. The appraisal must be done estimating the commercial value of the property, considering its surroundings, a market survey and zoning regulations.

    4. Notary Public and Public Registry of Property and Commerce
    The function of the Notary Public is to act as an extension of a Judge or the Government. His duty is to ensure that a real estate transaction is formally executed in compliance with all legal requirements. Upon the execution of the transaction, the deed of title must be recorded at the Public Registry of Property and Commerce of the domicile in which the real estate, subject matter of the transaction, is located.

    A Mexican "notario" is an attorney who, after passing rigorous examinations, is commissioned by the government as a public notary. A notario holds high office for life, unless he or she is removed for cause. The notario fulfills a public function delegated by the government. Although licensed as an attorney, the notario is not in a position to provide either of the parties with legal advice. The notario's responsibilities include collecting and reviewing the sales contract, property tax and water payment receipts; ordering a bank appraisal: freezing the property's file at the local public registry (no documents may be recorded in a property's file during three consecutive thirty-day periods); reviewing the property's file to verify the legal ownership and search for liens, encumbrances or anything that could affect the title (as the majority of public registries are not automated, this procedure can take from 60 to 90 days); requesting the public registry to issue a "Certificado de Libertad de Graveneres" (Certificate of Freedom from Liens and Encumbrances); and performing the closing at this office where the notario handles the transfer of the deed, tax withholding on the underlying real estate transaction, and the recording of the documents at the public registry.

    The Most Common Choices For Purchasing Real Estate In Mexico:
    1. General Purchase Sale Agreement
    A purchase sale agreement occurs when one of the contracting parties obligates itself to transfer the ownership of property and the other agrees to pay a certain price in consideration of the property rights. The contract is perfected and binding between the parties as soon as the property and its price are agreed upon, even when the property has not yet materially been delivered and the price paid. All such contracts must meet specific requirements in accordance with Mexican law in order to exist and be valid.

    There are two types of elements to the contract:
    A. Essential Elements: The essential elements of any purchase sale agreement: consent which is granted by the seller's agreement to transfer the real estate to the buyer, and in turn, the buyer's consent to pay a certain price; and object which is the purpose of the title transfer of the real estate on the one hand, and the payment of earnst money as consideration of the transfer.
    B. Validity Elements: The validity elements are: legal capacity that refers to the legal rights of the parties to enter into the contract; and legal form, which are the formalities with which a transfer complies in order to be perfected. For example, real estate transactions must be in writing, and in order for such to be binding before third parties, they must be recorded at the Public Registry of Property and Commerce. Basically, the fundamental obligations of the seller in a purchase sale agreement, are: a) to deliver the property being sold to the buyer; b) to guarantee the quality of the property; and c) to guarantee the title (with cure in case of eviction).

    On the other hand, the buyer's principal obligation is to comply with the payment of the price in the terms place, and form agreed in the agreement.

    2. Installment Sales Agreements withholding transfer of title:
    In this kind of agreement, the seller reserves title of the property until full payment of the sale price is made, but the buyer may use and enjoy the real estate until full payment is made. Usually, this kind of agreement includes installment payments. There are some advantages in using this kind of agreement: First, the agreement can be recorded at the Public Registry of Property and Commerce as being enforceable and binding before third parties. Second, the seller is not able to sell the property while the purchaser is in compliance with the sales agreement, usually meaning that he is current in his payment obligations to the seller. Finally, the obligations of the parties are subject to what in Mexican Law is commonly known as "Condicion Suspensiva" (suspensive condition), which conditions the agreement to full payment of the price to the seller.

    3. Irrevocable Real Estate Trust Agreement:
    This is better known as a "fideicomiso" and is the most common instrument for the acquisition of real estate property within the restricted zone, usually for residential purposes. The seller, "trustor", will transfer property to a Mexican bank institution, the "trustee", by means of an irrevocable trust agreement. The trustee will hold the property on behalf of a designated beneficiary (usually the buyer). The bank is obligated to administer the real estate only for the benefit of the beneficiary, who holds the right of use and enjoyment of the real estate, as an owner. The bank holds title to the property but the beneficiary is entitled to use it and even sell the property held in trust to any eligible buyer, providing that he instructs the bank to do so.
    [Top Of Page]

    The Notario Publico is a government appointed lawyer who processes and certifies all real estate transactions, including the drawing up and review of all real estate closing documents, thereby insuring their proper transfer.

    All powers of attorney, formation of corporations, wills, official witnessing, etc. are also handled and duly registered through the office of the Notario Publico, who is also responsible to the government for the collection of all taxes involved.

    Regarding real estate transactions, the Notario Publico, upon request, receives the following official documents, which by law are required for any transfer:

  • A no lien certificate from the Public Property Registry based on a complete title search.
  • A statement from the Treasury or Municipality regarding property assessments, water bills, and other pertinent taxes that might be due.
  • An appraisal of the property for tax purposes.

    Notarial services are available to all U.S. citizens and to foreign nationals for documents destined to be used in the United States. Notarial services are executed by Consular officers and may include documents to be signed before them, statements made under oath, powers of attorney, affidavits and acknowledgments.

    The notaries service, located within the American Citizens Services (ACS) office of the U.S. Consulate at Lopez Mateos 924 Nte., in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, is available from 8:00 am-4:00 pm Monday-Friday, except on Mexican and American holidays.

    To have a document notarized, you must come in person with the following documents:
    1) An official photo ID issued by a government agency in the U.S. or a Mexican Credencial de Elector;
    2) The document(s) to be notarized;
    3) The cost for a notarial is $30 USD. Customers requiring multiple notaries as part of a single transaction on the same day (e.g., notarization of a bill of sale and five copies, or notarization of three documents required for a single real estate transaction) will be charged $30 for the first seal and $20 for each subsequent seal.
    4) To ensure you understand the document, a translation might be requested by the officer;
    5) If your document needs to be witnessed, please bring your witness (es) with you. Because the U.S. and Mexico are parties to the Hague Convention on the Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, there is an alternative to obtain notarial services for Mexican-origin documents destined for use in the US. This notarization procedure is called an Apostille and this is a service provided by the Mexican government. This Apostille process legalizes Mexican documents for use in the United States. For documents originated in the State of Chihuahua, please call the Secretaria de Gobernación (Department of the Interior) in Chihuahua City at (14)29-33-00. For more information regarding Apostilles for documents originated in the United States or in other countries go to

    Questions concerning notarials? Please call 613-16-55 (If calling from the U.S. please dial 011-521 before the number) between 8:00 am-4:00 pm Monday-Friday.
    [Top Of Page]

    Bank Trust
    Bank Trust Information
    The "fideicomiso" is set up through a Mexican bank for a period of up to 50 years and can be renewed for 50 years. To acquire the land the purchaser must obtain a permit from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The buyer can lease, sell or transfer the property to another family member, and if he dies, his property can be passed to an heir. At the end of the 100 years the property can be sold.

    In the trust there are three elements: The trust Settlor (Fideicomitente) which may be a physical or legal Mexican person, who is the owner of the property which is to be placed in trust; the Trustee (Fiduciario) which, by law may be only a credit institution and which holds the raw real estate; and the Beneficiaries (Fideicomisarios) the legal or physical foreign persons who are the beneficiaries of the trust who obtain the use and benefit of the property.

    The bank (known as the trustee) holds the trust deed (known as the escritura) for the person or persons purchasing the property (known as the beneficiaries). This property is not part of the bank's assets and cannot be subject to any lien or attachment for any bank obligations. The beneficiary has all ownership rights to the property and may sell, lease, mortgage or pass on to their heirs as desired under law. A bank trust is not a lease.

    The Mexican government established the trust agreement as a way of protecting foreigners interested in owning property in Mexico. The reasoning was that by making ownership pass through the trust process, there would be an automatic review of the transaction to ensure it was legal and unencumbered. The bank is required to check ownership, insurance and indebtedness of the property, providing further protection to the foreign owner.

    Trusts are renewable at any time by filling out a simple application with the bank. It was never the intent that these properties pass back to the government at the end of the trust period. This is a common misconception and fear of most buyers. It may help in understanding the Bank Trust to compare it with the Deed of Trust, a type of financing instrument used in the U.S. People who buy homes, paying the full amount upfront, receive their titles right away. However, this rarely happens. Under a deed of trust the buyer of a house has only "equitable title," or an equity interest, with the right to use but only a restricted right to sell, until the loan is paid off, after which the owner receives the actual fee simple title. Until then it is held by a trustee, usually a bank or title company. In Mexico the Bank Trust is also held by a trustee, but the buyer never receives the actual title. Realistically many homeowners in the U.S. never receive title to their properties either, because they sell or refinance their homes before the 30-year term of their loan is complete.

    [Top Of Page]

    Title Insurance
    Purchasers of Mexican real property can now receive Owner's Policies of Title Insurance that can be issued on both sides of the border from various companies to both U.S. and Mexican buyers. Most title insurance policies today are U.S. contracts of indemnity guaranteeing ownership rights as vested in a fideicomiso (bank trust) for residential property acquired by foreign buyers in the prohibited zone, or for properties held in a Mexican corporation for non-residential purposes (i.e. industrial and commercial). Mexico is not unlike the U.S. in that there is a definitive legal framework for ownership of land by foreigners known as the New Foreign Investment Law (Dec. 28, 1993) and as mandated under Article 27 of the Mexican Constitution. In addition, there is formality and compliance in the development of real property. Regulatory statutes and procedures are mandated on a state-by-state basis and require a series of official approvals, permits, and authorizations, coupled with public disclosure and written notification by the governing public agency.

    There are different types of Title Insurance. There is Title Insurance available on the land (US Style) and Title Insurance available on just the Fideicomiso (Bank Trust).

    A title insurance policy is a contract of indemnity that promises to pay for a loss up to the face amount of the policy if the state of the title is different than it is set out in the policy and the insured suffers a loss as a result of the difference.

    A title insurance policy will cover both claims arising out of title problems that could have been discovered in the public records, and those so called non-record defects that could not be discovered in the public records even with the most complete title search.

    A title insurance policy will not only protect the insured for as long as they have an interest in the property, but it will also protect their heirs and devisees for as long as they hold title to the property. A title policy insures against loss by reason of matters specifically stated or covered in the policy. Purchasers of real estate run the risk of serious financial loss in connection with the title to the property purchased. The seller may lack title to the property because of a problem in the chain of title or may not own all of the interest in the property he purports to convey.

    Due to the many rights, claims, interests, and encumbrances that the law recognizes in real property, it is essential for the buyer to have a title search and examination performed before the purchase is consummated in order to identify precisely the nature of the title the seller can legally convey and the rights and interests of all other parties in the particular piece of property. Title policies offer the only protection available against latent defects of title which do not appear of record such as forgery, impersonation, capacity of the parties, faulty acknowledgments, and inchoate mechanic's and materialmen's liens.

    Title Insurance is offered in Mexico by the following companies:
    Stewart Title Insurance Company
    Fidelity National Financial (FNF)
    First American Title Insurance

  • Be patient, transactions in Mexico may take longer than you anticipate. Mexican Notaries are official government lawyers who are uniquely empowered to formalize and record real property transactions. Your purchase of Mexican real estate should be an investment, not a gamble.
    [Top Of Page]

    Closing Costs
    Description of Closing Costs
    The closing procedure generally takes from 30 to 45 days and these costs are paid by the buyer.

    Note: All amounts are in US Dollars, with an exchange rate of $10.50 pesos per dollar. When a property is acquired through a Purchase-Offer or when a Trust Transfer Domain is carried out before a Notary Public, in order for them to be legally constituted they must meet with a series of permits and expenses, which are described as follows:

    l. TRUSTEE FEES: These are charged on a yearly basis and are paid upfront. They may vary according to the transaction and considering the property and the trustee; nonetheless most of them charge $450. in properties priced under $700,000.00. For properties priced up to $l,500,000 they charge $600. and over $1,500,001.00 they charge $1,000. In Addition to this all the Trustees collect the same fee for the Trust Acceptance, which is charged only once.

    2. FOREIGN AFFAIRS PERMIT (SRE): This is a permit that the Notary Public or the Trustee process through their agents and they may cost $1,100. as a maximum fee; this may be in proportion to the agents fees, since the permit fee from the Foreign Relations Office does not vary.

    3. NATIONAL FOREIGN INVESTMENTS REGISTRATION (RNIE).- The Trustee has the obligation to process the registration of the Deed within a 30 day period after the granting and the cost per fees and rights may vary from $285 to $330 according to the Trustee.

    4. NOTARY PUBLIC FEES: These are regulated by a fee list authorized by the Notary Law valid in every State. Sample fee list is as follows:
    >From $1,000 up to $9,523 = 2% From$9,524 up to $1,9047 = 1.15%
    >From $19,048 up to $47,619 = .85% From $47,619 up to$71,428=.65%
    from $71,429 up to $95,238 = .50% From $95,239 up to $476,190 =.25% from $476,191 and over =.20%.
    (Note: The fees can be for a lesser amount but never for an amount over this fee list.)

    5. PROPERTY ACQUISITION TAX.- This is a State Tax. The notary Public is responsible to charge and declare it without surcharges. In the case of the State of Nayarit this takes place within a 30 day period after the granting of the Deed. It is 2% based on the highest value of the previously authorized construction appraisal.

    In the case of the State of Jalisco it takes 60 days. This tax is charged based on the construction appraisal value using different percentages and fixed amounts. It is important to mention that in order to calculate this tax you must apply a special procedure and the real closing costs cannot be determined on your own, a notary must determine these costs.

    6. APPRAISAL AND DIVISION: Your cost is calculated as follows:
    on values up to $250,000 = 3%
    $250,001 - $500,000 = 2%
    $500,001 - and up = 1%
    (Note: These percentages may vary according to the appraiser's criteria.).

    7. PUBLIC REGISTRY RIGHTS.- This permit can be processed through the notary. Once the corresponding rights are paid, the notary will be able to process the registration in the Local Public Registration Office where the property is located. The costs vary as stated by the valid law in every State.

    The notary has the obligation to check that the subject property has no lien. The notary will gather the certificates from the corresponding Government offices and from the Condominium administration. This charge is normally not more than $60

    9. OTHER CHARGES. This depends on the notary and these can be: Travel expenses when there is need to sign documents. Copies and other administrative costs. This is usually not more than $767

    10. TITLE INSURANCE.- This varies according to the value of the transaction and the Insurance company but it should not exceed 0.5% - 0.7%

    11. ESCROW ACCOUNT.- In order to manage the funds for the purchase of a property it is recommended to open an ESCROW.
    The fees are $500 as opening costs.
    It is important to mention that all the aforementioned expenses are mandatory and they must be made. In the case of a Trust Transfer Domain for a Purchase-Offer you can omit steps 1, 2 and 3.

    Up to $20,000 17%
    >From $20,000 to $50,000 10% to 15%
    >From $50000 to $100,000 7% to 10%
    >From $100,000 to $150,000 6%
    >From $150,000 to $250,000 5%
    >From $ 250,000 to $450,000 4%
    >From $450,000 to $1500,000 3.5%
    $1500,000 and over 2.5% al 3%

    The notary gives the estimate of closing costs for the trust and associated fees. It is customary for the buyer to select the notary. Customarily, the buyer pays a deposit of 50% of the estimated costs, so that the notary can start the application for ownership and order the appraisal. The appraisal is not a market appraisal, but one from which the city computes the property taxes.

    The seller should know before closing if he has capital gains costs. However, many times this information is learned upon the written agreement of a sale, when the seller's documentation is taken to the notary. For a foreigner to be exempt from capital gains tax on a Mexican residence, he must have a permanent visa, such as an FM2 or FM3 and satisfy the notary with documentation of expenses, such as gas or electric bills for the property that he is selling.

    If the seller has an existing trust, the bank charges a fee to cancel it, if the new buyer is not assuming it. The seller can also be responsible for the payment of the real estate commission, including iva or sales tax.

    The seller should pay also, the proper portion of property taxes, his current trust fees, utilities until date of closing, condo fees and assessments, contributions to city services being charged to his neighborhood, and what other costs are negotiated between buyer and seller.

    The buyer will work off the estimated statement from the notary, and when the final 50% is paid, should receive a formal paid receipt.
    The Closing Cost Estimate from the notaries all follow a common format:

    >bullet< The Property Value of Sales price is given in Dollars and the selected exchange rate. The Property Value is then given in Mexican Pesos.

    >bullet< The notary's fee is a percentage of the sales price in pesos and averages from .007-.01 percent. This includes the professional fee, a charge for office supplies, and iva.

    >bullet< The transfer or acquisition tax is approximately 2% of the appraisal value. The notary will order the appraisal to be done by an authorized appraiser. This value will also establish the basis for the yearly property tax. The law changed in 2002, whereby the transfer tax is charged on the appraised value instead of the sales price.

    >bullet< Additionally, there is the cost to apply or register the trust in Mexico City. Foreigner ownership of real estate is recorded at the Foreign Affairs Registry in Mexico City.

    The buyer pays for the cost of certificates to show that there are no liens of record prior to sale and that the property tax has been paid. An additional certificate will show that the water bill (Seapal) has been paid, if the property has this city service.

    The bank will also charge a set-up fee or assumption of the trust, plus the first year administration fee in advance. There is a yearly fee for administration of the trust, due on the anniversary date of the formation of the trust. These fees currently run from $350US-$700US a year, depending on the bank.

    The costs for closing for the buyer who has a trust, average 4-7% of the sales price. The sellers in this area consider the transfer tax and trust cost to be the responsibility of the buyer. A Mexican citizen does not have the cost of a bank trust, but pays the other normal fees charged by the notary.

    Additionally, if you have an attorney working for you, you will have the cost of his fees as well.

    [Top Of Page]

    Mexican Taxes
    Property taxes are very low in Mexico as a whole. The property tax, known as a predial is .1% of the assessed value. Taxes are paid annually, with the assessed value determined at the time of sale. If you purchase a property with an assessed value of $100,000US dollars your annual tax rate would be $100.00US dollars. The reason taxes are so low is due to the fact that they have never been a source of revenue for the Mexican government

    Real Estate Acquisition Tax (transfer tax): Individuals or companies purchasing real estate, consisting of land, or land and its improvements in Mexico, are subject to the payment of a real estate acquisition tax calculated at the rate of 2% of the value of the property (the rate may vary from state to state from 2% to 3.3%). All purchasers of real property must pay this tax whether the acquisition is carried out through a purchase and sale agreement, donation, trust, assignment, mergers of companies, split-off, or payment in kind.

    Mexican real estate is subject to a 20% capital gains tax on the gross proceeds from the sales without any deduction. There is another option, net basis taxation up to 35% (depends on the state and the interpretation of the notary). Under this tax plan, gain is calculated by deducting from the gross proceeds (1) the original cost of acquisition, (2) the cost of improvements, (3) notarial expenses and other costs of sale, including appraisal costs, and (4) commissions. The original cost is separated between land cost and cost of buildings, with at least 20% allocated to land. The cost of buildings and any other improvements is then decreased at 3% per year between the date of acquisition and date of sale, but the cost is not decreased below 20% of the original amount. The cost of the land is increased based on changes in the National Consumer Price Index.

    Formula for capital gains tax: AV2(appraised value 2) -AV1(appraised value 1) ?Improvements - Cost of the Sale=Taxable Amount x 35%=Tax Due

    Your FM2 or FM3 can help you to avoid capital gains taxes when selling your property. If someone proves they were living on their property for two years in Mexico, they can avoid paying any type of capital gains.

    [Top Of Page]

    Investment Opportunity
    Investing in Mexico
    Mexico offers the foreign investor an attractive investment opportunity in an economy that is undergoing dramatic improvement and growth. Following the country's inability in 1982 to service its escalating foreign debt, Mexico introduced structural changes in its economy designed to move the country toward an open economy with more direct foreign investment. Among the most significant changes were (1) Mexico's accession to the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade, (2) a government willing to work with the International Monetary Fund and other sources to restructure the country's foreign debt,(3) the liberalization of policies concerning foreign ownership of Mexican companies, and (4) the encouragement of tourism development.

    In an effort to promote foreign investment, Mexico enacted new regulations designed to relax the restriction on foreign investment, which formerly limited foreign ownership of Mexican companies to 49 percent. Under the new regulations, foreign investor's can now own up to 100 percent of a large number of enterprises, including hotel companies, development companies, etc. without prior authorization from the Foreign Investment Commission. Thus, foreign investors in these enterprises have been put on equal footing with local investors and are no longer required to engage a Mexican investment partner.

    The Mexican Federal Corporate Income Tax ranges from 25 to 38 percent. Provisions in the income tax code have also been established to offset the detrimental effects of inflation on monetary assets and liabilities, inventories and depreciable assets.
    [Top Of Page]

    Ejido Land
    In general terms, an ejido is a collective group of people that live and work on a determined piece of property as a community. While the concept of the ejido in Mexico is prehispanic, most of the fundamental ideas and concepts that created what an ejido is today stem from the theories of democratic communism. Understanding this is very important when dealing with ejidos. Most people reading this article have grown up in a society based on democratic capitalism in which the individual and not the community determines what he or she is going to do. In a communistic society the community determines what it is going to do, including agreeing upon how the land they hold is to be used.

    Taking into consideration the above, it is not hard to imagine the confusions that could exist when discussing ownership of ejido land. Most foreigners associate the word "ownership" with terms such as fee simple, private property and Adam Smith, while the ejidatarios idea would be more on the lines of community rights, right to use and enjoy, and governmental concession.

    Until ejido land is converted to private property, foreigners cannot acquire "ownership" of ejido land in accordance with their understanding of the word "ownership".
    Please remember:
  • Ejido land cannot be sold to non-ejido members until it is converted into private property.
  • There are exceptions where non-ejido members can acquire "posessionary" rights to ejido land, however the rules governing posessionary rights are not very secure, especially for foreigners.
  • Foreigners cannot legally become ejidatarios.
  • What an ejidatario understands as ownership is often different than your understanding of ownership.

    [Top Of Page]

    Frequently Asked Questions
    Q: Is it legal for foreigners to own property in Mexico?
    A: Yes! Under Mexican law, specific requirements exist for foreign ownership of property in the restricted zones. The bank trust holds the deed of property. Trusts are good for 50 years and can be renewed every 50 years.

    Q: Will I own title to the land?
    A: Yes! The title to your land will be held on your behalf by the Fideicomiso bank trust as required by Mexican law. Title insurance will be covered by an individual title insurance policy on the property.

    Q: Can the Mexican Government confiscate my land?
    A: Foreigners often worry about their land being expropriated by the Mexican government. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement, NAFTA, Mexico may not directly, or indirectly, expropriate property except for a public purpose. This is the same as "Eminent Domain" in the U.S. Where it is necessary to expropriate land, swift and fair market compensation must be paid, together with accrued interest.

    Q: What happens if the bank fails?
    A: In the event the holding Bank should ever fail, be bought by an unauthorized Bank, etc., what happens to the Fideicomiso? Answer - the Fideicomiso will be transferred to another authorized Bank. The Bank does not own the Fideicomiso, you do!

    Q: Can my family inherit my property?
    A: Yes! Inheritance in Mexico is actually easier than in the U.S. since the property can be inherited directly without the delays and expense of probate as long as a will is in place. There is no inheritance tax in Mexico as long as a will exists.

    Q: Can I legally own property without a bank trust if I have an FM2?
    A: No, the only way a foreigner can own property in Mexico without a bank trust is to become a Mexican citizen or to have a corporation.

    Q: Which is better the Mexican Corporation System or the Bank Trust System?
    A: Mexican law provides that the beneficiary of the trust (you) may not receive any income from the property placed in trust and furthermore may not engage in any gainful employment with the trust. The trust can last for up to 50 years, whereas, the corporation lasts for 99 years and may be renewed by the stock holders after 99 years. Another added benefit of the corporation, you can get an FM-3, which is a working visa, permitting you to live and work in Mexico. The FM-3 can be renewed annually and with it you can obtain a Mexican drivers license, open bank accounts, get credit cards, earn an income, and operate a business. There are many benefits to having your own corporation. When creating your corporation, you also have an option of creating a normal corporation or a limited liability corporation similar to an LLC in the U.S. You are only required to have a minimum of two stockholders in your corporation, but there is no limit to how many stockholders you may have.

    Q: I have only myself and no friends. How do I form my Mexican Corporation if I need two stockholders?
    A: We suggest that you might have your Mexican accountant, or your Mexican attorney hold 1% of the corporation's shares, with the agreement that he / she will not participate in any vote concerning your corporation or in any profit from your corporation.

    Q: Is the Mexican Corporation a 99-year lease?
    A: No it is not. It is a legal corporation recognized by the state and federal governments. Every 99 years the corporation's charter will need to be renewed. You may not be around in 99 years, but your heirs might enjoy your legacy.

    Q: Can the Mexican Government take my property after I close?
    A: No. Mexico is a land of laws and there are real estate laws, just as in the United States and in Canada, protecting the rights of property owners whether they are foreign or domestic. Mexico has had a stable democratic form of government for the past 90 years, and has no plans of changing. And, since Mexico is part of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement), there are multi-billion dollar foreign trade ties to the United States and Canada. Any dramatic change in the Mexican Government could jeopardize the economic dependency which Mexico has with these two countries. No benefit would accrue to Mexico in taking away property from foreigners who are Mexico's main source of revenue each year.

    Q: When are real estate tax notices sent out?
    A: Tax notices are not sent out in Mexico. At your request Mexican attorney can arrange to pick up your tax notice each year pay the tax for you and advise you the amount to remind and take care of the payment on your behalf.

    Q: What are Ejido Lands?
    A: Ejido Lands are nothing more than a land use grant from the Mexican Government to a cooperative of Mexican families for the purpose of farming and living off of the land. The Mexican government still owns the land, but has granted the use of it to the families of the Ejido. After 30 or 40 years of use, the Ejido members may, if they all agree, petition the government for the actual deed to the property. This is usually difficult because they seldom all agree, and further, the government is not obligated to grant their request. They must first prove to the government that they have all agreed on how the property is to be subdivided among the Ejido members. The problem is that Ejido members can and often have bargained away or assigned their rights to their proportionate use of the property to other Ejido members.
    However, if they can agree they may begin the process of converting the Ejido land from government ownership to private ownership. The government just does not want to give land to people for free. Ejido members do not have to pay for the land, they just need to be able to prove that they can use the land, and live off of it as a farming community. As a foreigner in Mexico, Ejido lands are not something you can or want to get involved with. Ejido members do not own any of the land. They simply have rights to use the land. As a foreigner in Mexico, you have NO RIGHTS to use Ejido lands, even if Ejido members say that you can.

    Q: Do I need to have a passport?
    A: Starting January 27, 2007, the U.S. State Department will require a passport for all travel to and from Mexico by AIRLINE. If traveling on foot, by car or boat, including cruise ship or ferry, the passport requirement will not come into effect until after January 2008.
    At present, the Government of Mexico requires that all U.S. citizens present proof of citizenship and photo identification for entry into Mexico, such as a combination of a birth certificate and driver's license. However, some U.S. citizens have encountered difficulty in boarding flights in Mexico without a passport.

    Q: What do I need to enter Mexico?
    A: This depends on which country in which your visit originates. If you are from the U.S. or Canada, you will need your passport or notarized birth certificate with state issued ID. You will also need a tourist card unless you are traveling for less than 72 hours within the border zone (usually no further than 20 miles south of the U.S. border except in Baja California and Sonora which have extended their zones). If you are from any other country, you will need to check with the Mexican Embassy or Consulate nearest you (the New York Consulate has a detailed list of requirements on their website).

    Q: Do I need auto insurance?
    A: It is highly recommended to have auto insurance before you enter Mexico. The law in Mexico does not specifically require you to have auto insurance to drive in Mexico, until you get into an accident. Then you will need to prove you have MEXICAN auto insurance, as Mexico does not recognize foreign insurance. Without insurance you will be taken to jail first to determine your guilt or innocence, your financial ability to pay damages, the amount of damages you'll need to pay, etc. It's a major hassle that can be avoided by paying for relatively inexpensive insurance, and you can even add legal services to your policy to have a lawyer represent you while in Mexico.
    [Top Of Page]


    Large map in PDF

    [Top Of Page]

    Hunting Information
    Mexico Advisory Services: http://www.mexicoadvisoryservices.com
    A. tourist card info
    B. hunting licenses & gun permits for Dove and Duck

    Mexico Hunting & Travel Service
    Nick Dudley
    Mexico Hunting & Travel Service
    3902 Arroyo Vista Ct.
    Harlingen, Texas 78550
    Home Phone: 956-421-3405
    Cell Phone956-571-6852

    General Information on the Procedures for Getting Hunting Firearms into Mexico

    There is little mystery associated with the bringing of guns into the country, but there is a lot of false information. As a caveat before you proceed, let me clearly indicate that regulations in Mexico can and do change frequently. What you read here is only a basic outline of sample procedures, and the rules at the time of your desired entry may be somewhat different. It is imperative that the hunter ensure that he gets current information from a reliable Mexican source so that delays are minimized and that compliance with Mexican law is ensured. The Mexican government is not forgiving when it comes to firearm or ammunition mistakes.

    The hunter will have made contact with either a land owner or an outfitter in the course of setting up his hunt in Mexico. The Mexican contact will send the hunter the applicable initial paperwork necessary for entry, game license and temporary gun permits. Should this not happen at least a couple of months before the date of entry, request it immediately.

    Once the forms arrive, you can expect to have to gather together the following items and information at a minimum:
    1. Complete the forms in their entirety, including all applicable firearm information requested. TYPE your entries, repeat TYPE..! If you have questions, speak to your Mexican contact. (I recommend that you supply information for 2 firearms even though you might think that you will not need a second firearm, since Murphy's Law runs double time in Mexico, it is much better to have a second firearm authorized at the beginning.)

    2.Obtain a letter of good conduct (commonly called a "good guy" letter) from your local police or sheriff; note that this must be from the law enforcement unit where you reside and where your drivers licence is based. The letter must state "NO CRIMINAL RECORD ON FILE".

    3.Your proof of citizenship, such as a CERTIFIED birth certificate or a passport. (This will be returned to you after all paperwork is completed.)

    4.Four passport sized color photos. These must be recent, without cap or sunglasses, no T-Shirts and be approximately 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" in sizewith the background preferably white. Note, these pictures can not be "Polaroid" or "computer generated" types.

    5. A photocopy of your drivers license, this license must be current and the address must agree with your current address.

    Once all of the materials requested by your contact are assembled they need to be forwarded to your contact along with all fees that he has established for the application process. (This was $270 in 2002, but is obviously subject to change.) Generally your contact will get Mexican Consul approval etc., but it is always best to confirm with him that he has everything required and that you do not need to perform any additional functions.

    Once all of the approvals have been completed a common procedure will be for your contact to meet you at the border crossing for hunters on the opening day of season or the day of the hunt. Normally he will have all of your paperwork in hand. It is very important to ensure that your paperwork is actually in the hand of the outfitter prior to coming to Laredo since it is not uncommon for the papers to be late in getting final signature approval. Do not make the trip with the assumption that your papers probably will be ready. (The "ANGADI", the Mexican Cattlemen's Association, is available at the Laredo, TX crossing to assist hunters crossing the border to hunt, if you have your papers in-hand you will not need to have an outfitter present.) At that time a member of the Mexican military establishment will look at each firearm, compare the serial numbers to those on the application and will approve the entry of the firearm(s) and up to 100 rounds of ammunition for each firearm. (Note that in the 2002-2003 season if you brought in less than 100 rounds of ammunition, your gun permit was appropriately marked which allowed you to bring in additional ammunition up to the 100 limit as long as it was checked in through the special entry point at the border in Laredo.) Once the military approval is completed, the paperwork will permit firearm reentry at any time during the temporary permit period or if one has a secure location in Mexico it they may be left at the ranch. All that is required at future border entries into Mexico where re-entry with firearms is involved is to drive up to the Mexican side of the border in the "Declaration" Lane and cross as anyone else. You may be waved through though you likely will be asked if you have firearms ("armas"), answer yes and they probably will pull you over and go through a check of your papers and the guns. They may also go through your entire vehicle as may be done when entering any country. This is normally only a 10 minute procedure and you will be on your way to your hunting destination. At that point you will officially be a "Cazador" (Hunter)...!

    As a final note, it is imperative that prior to the expiration date of the gun permit (usually the last day of season) that the guns be removed from Mexico by taking them through the same process as was used for entry. The authorities will check out each gun and cancel the paperwork. This step is mandatory and future gun permits and hunting privileges may be lost if this step isn't observed.

    Although not necessarily precise, I hope that this has given you a basic concept of the requirements for crossing into Mexico with a hunting firearm.

    As established by the (LGVS) General Law for Wildlife, hunting in Mexico will be considered a sustainable activity (Articles 39 and 82 of the LGVS) and can only take place in registered ranches as "Units for the Conservation of Wildlife" (UMA), or in "Areas of Sustainable Management of Wildlife" (PAMS) where a project is in place under the umbrella of a contract signed between the Ministry of Natural Resources and local governments or social organizations, if there is no State or Municipal involvement. For both instances it is necessary to have an approved management plan to monitor the populations, as well as, an approval of the numbers of specimens that may be hunted and their season. For hunters, Article 96 of the LGVS, establishes that national hunters and hunting service providers should hold a license to perform their activities in national territory; Those of non-Mexican nationality that enter the country to perform this activity must hire a duly registered service provider, that previously contracted with an UMA or PAMS to offer the service. The managers of the UMA´s are also considered registered service providers, therefore they can provide the service directly to non-Mexican nationals.

    With the approval of the LGVS, the administrative figure of the Hunting License is recognized, which must be worn with the Hunting belt marker by national hunters to perform their activities in Mexican territory. Within the legislation it is established that in order to achieve the sustainable development of wildlife, this must be made with the consent of those authorizations granted by the General Direction of Wildlife to the legitimate owners of those ranches designated as UMA´s or with the signature of a developer of PAMS. In these authorizations, it is established the number of specimens, species, and seasons authorized to carry out hunting activities.

    An important part of the development of the activity is the implementation of the marking belts in order to tag the specimens legally collected in the UMA´s or PAMS (Article 3, fraction XXIX & 40, h of the LGVS).
    1. What is the Hunting License?
    It is an identification card, through which the competent authority certifies that through the course of Responsible Hunting (certification), that an individual is qualified to handle the instruments, and is aware of the laws and regulations applicable to hunt in Mexico.

    2. What are the requirements to obtain a Hunting License?
    National Hunters and foreign nationals resident in Mexico:
    Present the hunting license request form, properly filled out.
  • Proof of residence (Photocopy of light, telephone receipt, etc.)
  • Copy of official ID (IFE credential passport, etc.), in the case of foreign nationals a document which shows your residence status in Mexico (Passport, FM2, etc.)
  • In the case of minors, a responsive setter where the parent or guardian assumes all responsibilities of the hunting expedition.
  • Two passport size photographs.
  • Signed declaration where the hunters states that he is aware and knows all corresponding legislation regarding hunting in Mexico.

    NOTE: Non resident foreign nationals are excluded from the purchasing of a hunting license, but they are obliged to hire a service provider, in order to practice hunting in Mexico.

    3. Who issues hunting licenses?
    The Office for Wildlife Federal Delegations of the Ministry for the environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT)

    4. What is a hunting service provider?
    It is the person registered at the Ministry for the environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT), that provides services corresponding to the organization of activities related to hunting in UMA´s or PAMS.

    5. What are the requirements to obtain a License of a Hunting Service Provider?
    Those interested in obtaining registry and a License of a Hunting Service Provider, should request the SEMARNAT, through the Office of Wildlife or the Federal Delegations which will receive the request and submit it to the office of wildlife, it should include the following documentation:

  • License request, filled out
  • Two photographs credential size.
  • Copy of the Birth Certificate or Naturalization form if it is done by an individual.
  • Copy of the Articles of incorporation, notary power and ID for the legal representative in the case of a company.
  • Copy of the format of the contract that will be provided to prospective hunters for their services, which they will issue with a tag number. In said contract it shall be specified that the person hiring the service is participating in the hunting expedition under his own risk and may contract individual insurance by himself.
  • Certified copy of the contract with the person responsible of the registered UMA or PAMS where the service was contracted.
  • List of the employees which will collaborate with the service provider in regards to having hunting activities in the authorized UMA´s or PAMS.
  • Work program that insures the conservation of the habitat and the species populations in the areas where the activity is to be developed, in the case hunting activities are carried out outside of a UMA.
  • Signed statement where it is stated that the organizer has all required permits and consent from the owners or legitimate title holders of the lands where the UMA´s or PAMS are located.

    6. Who issues the Hunting Service Provider License?
    The Office for Wildlife

    7. What is the marking system? (Hunting belt-tag)
    This is the approved identification method by the responsible authority which, according to what is established in the Ley Federal sobre Metrología y Normalización, can demonstrate that specimens, parts and derived items from wildlife were acquired legally.

    Therefore, the General Office for Wildlife, implemented the creation of the hunting belt tags, as a parking system, which is a self-adhering numbered band, emitted by the SEMARNAT, which is put on the specimens collected which is backed by authorization of the hunting expedition. This in order to insure that the specimens were legally hunted. This parking system can only be used once, and will be given to the hunter at the precise moment the hunt is begun by any one of the following:
    a. Service Provider
    b. Manager or responsible individual for the UMA
    c. Responsible individual for PAMS

    8. Which are the permissible hunting methods?
    For the practice of sports hunting the following weapons may be used; rifles, shotguns and black powder rifles authorized by the applicable regulations for firearms, with an authorized permit issued by the Ministry of Defense (SEDENA), as well as, Bows, crossbows, hunting birds, dogs.
    Hunting which requires the use of Firearms will be subject to the following criteria in addition to what is established in the Federal Law of Firearms and explosives and their regulations.
    To hunt birds, a shotgun must be used and it must be fired while in flight, with the exception of those cases where it is required to finish off the specimen.
    Hunting may not be performed with rifles of calibers below "22 Long Rifle", which may only be used for the hunt of small mammals.
    The sports hunting of birds may be carried out with show dogs. However, the hunting of mammals may only be carried out with sniffing dogs.
    Conform with what is established in the management programs of the UMA´s or PAMS. Sports hunting of mammals may be carried out with stalking dogs, and for Puma´s and wildcats sniffing and hunting dogs.

    9. What are the restrictions?
    The following are not authorized: Use of motor vehicles to pursue, round-up or stalk wild animals by land, air or water; The use of traps, nets, electronic devices, poisons, automatic weapons, air rifles, bb guns, as well as flares or artificial light to perform the hunt. It is also, not authorized to perform the hunt from half hour after sunset until half hour before sunrise.
    It is not authorized to sport hunt within 100 meters to either side of the fences that limit the extent of the UMA´s or PAMS, unless the hunter has the consent of the service provider, the manager of the UMA, and the holder of the land titles.

    10. What is the applicable legislation if hunting ordinances are not followed?
    Not following any of the regulations, jeans the trespasser will be sanctioned according to the following laws; General Law for Wildlife, General Law of Ecological equilibrium and environmental protection, Federal Law of firearms and explosives, Penal Code for the Federal District and the Republic, as well as, all other applicable laws and regulations.

    11. How can trophies and hunting pieces be transported?
    The transport of trophies and specimens which have been collected in the country will be covered by corresponding tags (the hunting belt tag) appropriately placed on the specimen in a way that it will not come off. The transport of exotic animals from a UMA must be accompanied with the certificate given to the hunter by the administrator.
    The export of trophies by foreign nationals, not resident in Mexico, within national territory will be covered by corresponding tags (the hunting belt tag) appropriately placed on the specimen in a way that it will not come off. For species included in the appendices of the Convention on the International Commerce of threatened Wildlife and plants, (CITES) the specimen must also include the corresponding CITES certificate.
    Note: Those individuals that are interested in hunting in Mexico, are responsible for informing themselves about all necessary rules, laws and regulations governing hunting in Mexico.
    [Top Of Page]

    Resourceful & Useful Info
    Mexico Lawyers:
    Manuel Garcia Barragan M.* CEDULA PROFESIONAL: 87087
    Rio Guadiana No.11
    Col.Cuauhtemoc, Mexico DF , Mexico
    C.P. 06500
    Tel: (55) 5703-3020
    Fax: (55) 5546-6823
    Website: www.garbarr.com.mx
    LANGUAGES: Spanish, English, French
    TYPE OF LEGAL PRACTICE: Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, Banking, Finance, Foreign Investment, Tax, Administrative, Immigration, Intellectual Property, International Trade, Commerce in general, Anti-Trust, Environmental, Admiralty, Telecommunications, Mining, Petrochemical, Real Estate, Health and Civil Law.
    Category: Attorneys / Lawyers / Law Firms in Mexico City.

    Mexico State Tourism Offices:
    Calle Libertad No. 1300
    Edif. Agustin Melgar, 1er Piso
    CP 31000 Chihuahua, Chih.
    Tel: (61) 429-3421 * Fax: (61) 416-0032
    E-mail: cturismo@buzon.chihuahua.gob.mx

    Mexican Tourism Offices:
    Texas Office
    1010 Fondren St.
    Houston, TX 77096
    Tel: (713) 772-2581
    Fax: (713) 772-6058
    E-mail: mgtotx@ix.netcom.com

    Mexican Consulates in the U.S.

    200 E. Sixth St., Suite 200, Austin, TX 78701
    Tel: (512) 478-2866 * Fax: (512) 478-8008

    Del Rio
    300 E. Losoya, Del Rio, TX 78841
    Tel: (830) 775-2352 * Fax: (830) 774-6497

    Eagle Pass
    140 Adams St., Eagle Pass, TX 78852
    Tel: (830) 773-9255 * Fax: (830) 773-9397

    El Paso
    910 E. San Antonio St., El Paso, TX 79901
    Tel: (915) 533-3644 * Fax: (915) 532-7163

    4507 San Jacinto St., Houston, TX 77004
    Tel: (713) 271-6800 * Fax: (713) 271-3201

    San Antonio
    127 Navarro St., San Antonio, TX 78205
    Tel: (210) 271-9728 * Fax: (210) 227-7518

    US Custom Office

    El Paso
    Field Operations Office Information
    Location Address: 9400 Viscount Suite 104
    El Paso, TX 79925
    General Phone: (915) 633-7300 Ext: 100
    General Fax: (915) 633-7392
    Operational Hours: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM ( Mountain )
    Weekdays (Monday-Friday)
    [Top Of Page]

    Recent Articles and Reports
  • Ancillary Closing Process Comes to Mexico -
  • Mexico: North America's Safe Haven -
  • Residency Requirements in Mexico For Tax Exemption Purposes -
  • Third Party Escrow in Mexico is a Must -
  • Mortgage Financing in Mexico Increasing for U.S. Buyers -
  • As U.S. Second Homes Decline, Mexico Increases -
  • TX Realtor Reprint -
  • STGM Owner's and Schedules -
  • Commitment with Schedules -
  • Payment Instructions -
    [Top Of Page]

Warning: include(/user_bottom.html): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/circlecr/public_html/mexico.php on line 605

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/user_bottom.html' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/circlecr/public_html/mexico.php on line 605